Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Edges Fray, the Duffel Cannot Hold

Well, what looked do-able in 5 weeks has collapsed under the weight of reality, but we're slogging onward. We will get on a plane in Missoula on June 3, and get off one in Lima, Peru, on June 5, and the things that aren't done just won't GET done!

We really thought we could wrap things up in Hamilton in 5 weeks when we committed to our Peace Corps posting in Peru, but so many things require not one, not two, but three or more additional steps that we are falling desperately behind. Then there are the little unexpected surprises that come out of nowhere, like . . . well, I don't even want to start, but suffice to say that our real estate is still standing, if a bit more fractured than we'd like. We're making our peace with it all.

Lenore the cat has figured out that something's up, but she can't quite put her paw on it.

Meanwhile, the "Rosetta Stone" Spanish language learning program to which the Peace Corps has generously provided us access has turned Jean into a Stone-head, as incapable of resisting the lure of the web-based Spanish modules as a "crackberry" addict with unread emails. I'm trying to make reasonable use of the program, while still getting my packing done, but Jean is knocking down the modules. I'll just be jealous if her Spanish ends up better than mine.

That's where we are, with 10 days to go. Our departure gets more real with every action we do for the last time, and we've already had a number of those. Our last "Bitterroot Bellies" dinner last evening at Marshall & Tonia Bloom's house--a great meal, great company. We'll miss that.

Russ

3 comments:

  1. Saludos!!

    I was perusing the PeaceCorpsJournals website and came across your blog. I too am going to Peru in a week! Just wanted to let you know that there is a group of us on Facebook, if you'd like to join! It's called Peace Corps Peru 13.

    see you both in 7 days!!!

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh...Rosetta Stone! I used that program for Mandarin and I completely understand its addicting qualities. Just one more section...and then just one more...and then... :P I'm sure being immersed in the language will catch you up quickly even without using Rosetta Stone much. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Russ and Jean! I just had an email forwarded to me about your upcoming departure. During our time in Hamilton my husband and I (Shaun and I worked with the planning department) only knew you peripherally as Chapter One patrons and lovers of the Hamilton Players, however I want to wish you best of luck on your new adventure. Shaun and I met in Peace Corps Macedonia and as RPCVs we can tell you that although it won’t always be easy or fun, it will be one of the most meaningful experiences of your life. That being said, try to keep your expectations flexible and enjoy the ride! Best of luck! I will look forward to following your blog. I know you will be missed in Hamilton.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete